RSS

the blessings of my life

Nena Naturales last left off with me and my little family making the big move to Florida. Well we made it! We've been living here in South Florida with my boyfriend's family for almost 6 months and so far, so good. Why the big change of scenery? It was very important and fundamental to Lucas and I that I stay home with Alice for at least her first year, and that just wasn't possible in Alaska for us right now. If we stayed in Alaska, we would have struggled to make ends meet, and we probably would have had to put Alice in day care part time so the both of us could work and attend school. In Florida however, where it's rent and almost bill free, Lucas can work for his father, I can stay at home with Baby A (and by the way, home is 5 beautiful acres with privacy and pets and a cute little pond) then next semester we start attending University while taking advantage of all the free daycare from close family like Grandma 'Uela. The three of us (K well maybe just the 2 of us really) miss Alaska dearly, but we'd like to live there when things are more stable, and permanent, like maybe when we have enough for a down payment on a home.
We're really blessed to have this backup, and we're taking the advatage to the fullest. Unfortunately, there are some haters out there.

Recently someone close to me really hurt my feelings. In a polite, and yet not so polite way, they told me that I'm being an immature adult and mother and struggling because I stay at home with my daughter instead of getting a part time night job, while my boyfriend stays at home and sleeps with our baby. This opinion formed through a misreading of a facebook post I posted seeing if any of my closest friends and family would care to chip in for a few new cloth diapers for her this holiday season. I don't NEED anyone to buy me anything. I was not BEGGING for diapers over the internet. It's impossible to run out of diapers when you're cloth diapering, its just that I had to retire a few of her sized small diapers. I like doing her diaper laundry once a week, and having 5 diapers missing from circulation threw all that off.
I really wanted to hurt this person back, and I really could have. But I didn't. At first, I didn't reply because I was still working out just exactly what I wanted to say. Later on, a different friend related to me this cool quote:
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?" -Shirdi Sai Baba
After that, the reason for my non reply was for the above logic.
This person didn't bother to ask why I need diapers. She didn't bother to ask what my lifestyle is like. She didn't bother to ask me if I was struggling, she just jumped to the conclusion. A real friend would have asked me these things. They would have asked me if I'm happy.

I live on 5 acres, I drive a relatively new car, and I never have to choose between a meal a bill and every one of Alice's needs are always met.
I'm not trying to brag, I'm trying to make clear that my choice to be a stay at home Mom for the time being is not hurting me or my daughter or my boyfriend, or anyone else! We're not living with the in-laws forever, but this is what family is for. They're here for us when we need them the most, not just around major holidays and family events. They're helping me and Lucas build the foundation for our family, so that soon, we'll be our own thriving unit, and not always relying on others (them) to bail us out. Me and LJ were not expecting to be young parents. Alice was just as much a surprise to Lucas and I as she was to everyone else, probably more so!

0 comments:

Post a Comment